[GRLUG] Slingbox

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Tue Nov 29 19:11:24 EST 2011

Anybody know of either a Slingbox-type device that actually works under
Linux or a way to persuade a Slingbox to work under Linux? Best Buy was
selling Slingbox Solo's for $100 last week, and silly me thought I could
get it to work on Linux. It seems to be DRM'd and locked down all over
the place, and will support everything BUT Linux. Chrome, Firefox,
Safari, on Mac or Windows no problem, but no Linux. I found a couple of
forum posts hinting at partial success with XBMC, but I haven't gotten
that to work. I've also tried faking the user-agent string on my web
browsers, which gets me through the "your operating system is not
supported" message but still doesn't actually work.

For those unfamiliar with it, the Slingbox is a little gadget that takes
an audio/visual signal and streams it to a web browser, either across
your LAN or across the Internet. Anybody actually do this with Linux?