[GRLUG] another Raspberry Pi article

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Tue Nov 29 11:55:08 EST 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 08:34:09AM -0500, Bob Kline wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:11 AM, John-Thomas Richards
> > <jtr at jrichards.org>wrote:

> >> I am amazed that it can decode 1080p video.  This thing is amazing.
> >> I want one to put next to the television with a large USB drive
> >> attached.
> >>
> >> I read somewhere that the $25 price tag (though this article says
> >> $35) is for the board itself.  Even with a case this thing can't be
> >> more than $40 or so.  Even for $50 that's a great price for what it
> >> can do.

[snip]
> Re $25 and $35, and earlier item here said there are two versions -
> the differences escape me just now.
>
> Just playing devil's advocate, I'll ask where's the beef?  By the time
> you hang enough stuff on the board to do anything with it there won't
> be any cost saving to speak of.  One can get any number of great
> motherboards for under $100 today.
>
> Just asking.....

As Michael posted, this thing is designed for an HTPC.  It is true that
one can purchase a decent motherboard for under $100, but this thing is
$25 (or $35).  With this as the primary hardware, the *hard drive*
becomes the most expensive component.  One could build the *entire* HTPC
for under $100 (a proper case, a wireless keyboard/mouse combo and an
HDMI cable is all you need—particularly if your movies, etc., are stored
on an existing network server).

Oh, hey, completely unrelated but I came across this Babbage quote (in
my .sig) just the other day.  Enjoy.
--
john-thomas
------