[GRLUG] audio tags

Topher topher at codeventure.net
Thu Nov 17 16:43:58 EST 2011

On 11/17/2011 04:27 PM, Bob Kline wrote:
> <!DOCTYPE html5>
> <audio controls="controls">
> <source src="kk.mp3" type="audio/mp3" />
> Your browser does not support the audio tag.
> </audio>
> </html5>
>

> The file is called xx.html5

I'm assuming your web server knows how to deal with .html5 files.

In your code sample above there's no <head></head>, and there's no
could easily make the browser freak out.  Here's the proper code:

<!DOCTYPE html5>
	<head>
		<title>Bob's awesome audio</title>
	</head>
		<audio controls="controls">
			<source src="kk.mp3" type="audio/mp3" />
			Your browser does not support the audio tag.
		</audio>

Indenting is not necessary, I just did it for clarity.

Keep in mind that Firefox won't play mp3's and I don't think IE will
play ogg.  That's why they made it possible, and suggest, that you put
source tags for both audio formats.  The browser plays the one it can.

All that said, you might want to check out http://mediaelementjs.com/

It's a small javascript app that detects browsers nicely and makes an
html5 player with the proper file format and falls back to flash when
the browser can't do html5.