[GRLUG] hpet

Jeff DeFouw mrj at plorb.com
Mon May 30 23:51:53 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 01:39:27PM -0400, Bob Kline wrote:
> A little followup.  I found the following
> article, from December, 2008:
>
> http://my.opera.com/PiklesOnFire/blog/index.dml/tag/hpet=disable
>
> <http://my.opera.com/PiklesOnFire/blog/index.dml/tag/hpet=disable>Based on
> Ubuntu Intrepid, the author blames
> hpet, at least in part, for the error message I
> see too.
>
> Alas, the file alluded to, /boot/grub/menu.lst,
> doesn't exist on my system, Kubuntu 11.04.
> Or anywhere else that I can tell.

Ubuntu moved from grub to grub2.  Additional command line options are
now set in /etc/default/grub.

Everything in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX is added to both regular and recovery
boot choices.  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT is only included in regular
boot choices.  After you make changes, run update-grub.

> Anyway, the saga continues.  A quick google
> search shows that you're having issues with
> hpet it's a huge annoyance, and if you're not,
> hpet will likely be off the radar screen.  What
> I haven't seen is what hpet is even for, and
> why it starts to become a problem.

So it goes with BIOS issues.  The other options you might need to mess
with are related to acpi and apic.  The HPET is a 64-bit high speed
general purpose timer that was added for multimedia synchronization.
It's more useful than other standard timers, so Linux prefers it.

--
Jeff DeFouw <mrj at plorb.com>