[GRLUG] hpet

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon May 30 07:07:00 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 06:22 -0400, Bob Kline wrote:
> Often during a boot up, or reboot, I'll
> see the output hang at a statement saying:
> CE: hpet increased min_delta_ns to 20112 nsec
> Things will then just sit there for 10 to 12
> minutes, and then go on their way.

Be wary of blaming CE: hpet, or any other dmesg you *see* for a long
pause or hang.  It could very well be the *next* message that appears
which could be the cause of an issue.

> I looked in /etc/ for hpet, and only found
> one reference, in /etc/bash_completion.d/qemu
> It's one of endless options to a function
> called compgen, and is "-no-hpet".
> No idea what any of this is saying. Can
> anyone provide any hints?
> I'm running Kubuntu 11.04.  I have read
> some discussions that say this is something
> of a known issue.

If you actually have a timing issue with hpet you most likely have
faulty/buggy hardware.  Instruct the system to not use the hpet [High
Performange Event Timer] timing source by using the boot parameter
"hpet=disable";  the kernel will then use the "pit" [Programmable
Interval Timer] timing source.  You may also be able to enable/disable
HPET in your BIOS.