[GRLUG] AT&T's U-verse DSL service

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Tue May 17 23:59:17 EDT 2011

No extreme performance issues beyond
apparently daily load variations in response
and speed.

Re no dedicated connection, by that I
mean that I don't to the same extent
share a cable with other users at the
local level.  i.e., I've heard two different
figures for how Comcast allocates capacity.
One says 40 Mbps per 300 users, and another
says 50 Mbps for 400 users.  With DSL,
one supposedly gets to the CO over one's
own connection, like the old phone approach.
What happens in the CO is the question.
Perhaps there's just congestion at that
point.  That's really the question - whether
there is the same concept of loading with
the DSL.  If many people use their cable
modems on the same cable, the capacity
can be used up.  Same true with DSL?

This is different from server congestion,
and I presume there is little backbone
congestion.

Anyway, some of this can be answered
by using something like speedtest.net.
I see big variations throughout the day.
My questions is whether people with
high speed DSL connections see similar
variability.  I can upload and download
big files to my web hosting site, and
simply measure the time.  That's a direct
measure of rate.  Same for downloading,
say, a new distribution of Ubuntu.

At bottom, small variation, for any mean
speed, is good - for me.  That way I know
whether I need more, and what to plan on.

    -- Bob