[GRLUG] Wireless Hotspot

Matthew Seeley matthew at threadlight.com
Tue May 17 18:13:51 EDT 2011

If you get the Overdrive Hotspot from Sprint, or the 3G+4G spot from Clear
you can get full Sprint 3G coverage, plus full Clear 4G (WiMax)  speeds in
Jenison. (They just put up a WiMax tower literally across the street from
your house -- at the water facility by the freeway exit.).  It's supposedly
very fast (2m - 4m down), but I won't have one in my hands until next week,
so I can't speak from experience.

T-Mobile's 4G is nice, reliable, and much more widespread than WiMax. I have
good 4G coverage anywhere in Jenison or Grandville. It's not as fast as
WiMax, but is more battery efficient, and has better coverage. (Speedtest
from my phone says I usually get about 1.5m down, 1m up)

(Offtopic, but I will shed many tears when AT&T kills off T-mobile. Many,
many tears.)

--
Matthew Seeley
Threadlight Systems