[GRLUG] Community based internet

David Pembrook david at pembrook.net
Thu Mar 24 12:55:41 EDT 2011

On 3/24/2011 12:50 PM, Dagny Scott wrote:

>     Below a manhole in the item you sent
>     it mentions that 133 cities and town have
>     there own broadband systems.  That
>     could mean almost anything, since
>     broadband apparently means 200Kbps
>     and above to many people.
>

> The FCC defines broadband has having at least 4mbps down.
>
> Dagny

*I don't have broadband anymore!!! *I don't have a full 1Mbps up LOL

Federal Communications Commission
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Communications_Commission> (FCC)
as of 2010, defines "Basic Broadband" as data transmission speeds of at
least 4 megabits per second (Mbps), or 4,000,000 bits per second,
downstream (from the Internet to the user's computer
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer>) and 1 Mbit/s upstream (from the
user's computer to the Internet).^[3]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_Internet_access#cite_note-2>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_Internet_access