[GRLUG] Why aren't fast system call instructions being used on my system?

Matthew Grochowalski matt at gwalski.com
Fri Mar 11 13:03:53 EST 2011

Figured it out: sep is disabled when NX-bit emulation is enabled. And
NX-bit emulation is enabled by default on all non-PAE Ubuntu kernels.
Supposedly 10.04 and greater Ubuntu installers will download and
install a PAE kernel if you have >3GB of RAM and are connected to the
internet during install. Otherwise the default kernel has PAE disabled
for greater compatibility.