[GRLUG] WebOS for HP machines

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Thu Mar 10 09:13:02 EST 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 09:06:16AM -0500, Bob Kline wrote:
[snip]

> So yes, it appears HP might be thinking it can go the Apple route and
> make its OS proprietary.  But how, using a Linux kernel?

Archos makes Linux devices that are proprietary.  All software that runs
on them must have a digital signature in order for the hardware to allow
it to run.  All the code is available though the digital signature is
not.  Not enough people care or it would have been cracked long ago.
It's a shame, too.  I have one of their portable video devices and I
must say it is quite amazing in its quality.  However, I cannot do
anything with it that Archos won't let me do.
--
john-thomas
------