[GRLUG] rsync help

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Tue Mar 1 16:44:02 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 05:35:33AM -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-02-28 at 00:51 -0500, Adam M. Erickson wrote;
> > On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM, John-Thomas Richards
> > <jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
> >         I use:
> >         rsync -avzpl -e ssh --delete /home/dir_to_backup/ /new/d
> > -a is the switch for archive mode it is the same as -rlptgoD according
> > to the manual
> > shouldn't you be able to shorten yours to
> > # rsync -avz -e ssh --delete /home/dir_to_backup/ /new/dir
> > and get the same results?
>
> +1
>
> The -a / --archive is probably the only option you want [possibly
> besides -v / --verbose].  If you are on a local network or using a

I came up with those switches years ago (modifying a script I found
online for regular backups).  It worked so I never bothered to tweak it.
Apparently I need to.  :-)

> locally connected device the -z / --compress option will probably only
> make things slower; or if you are using a modern version of SSH for the
> underlying transport [ modern SSH supports compression on its own, so
> avoid doing the pointless double squeeze ].

My script wasn't for locally-connected storage.

Does SSH compression compare to rsync's compression?  I was using it to
back up to the cloud (something around 15 gigabytes).  With that amount
of data compression is desirable.  :-)  Hence my question: is SSH's
compression better than rsync's?
--
john-thomas
------