[GRLUG] Vim Group? Editors and IDEs

Topher topher at codeventure.net
Fri Jun 24 11:45:04 EDT 2011

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, Ben Rousch wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Topher <topher at codeventure.net> wrote:
>>
>> I was a pico guy until about 1997, vim ever since.  I started emacs once,
>> but couldn't figure out how to quit.
>
> Interestingly, that was one of my first problems using Vim. The other
> was that I couldn't figure out how to edit. Vim has basically replaced
> all of my Nano usage - editing config files - but little more than
> that.

I tweeted about this, but didn't post to the list, so I will now.  This
article was amazingly enlightening to me:
http://stevelosh.com/blog/2010/09/coming-home-to-vim/

I just found it the other day, and he talks about doing things with vim
I'd never heard of, which is impressive for a 15 year user.

It's ostensibly about why he switched from textmate to vim, but his
reasons are each great tutorials in themselves.

It's really about why vim is a really great editor.

topher