[GRLUG] ISP shopping

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 12:06:37 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is all complicated today by the use
> of partial fiber systems.  AT&T uses fiber
> to get within the last 2K feet or so of a
> house,

Sure, those are remote DSLAMs. You can see them inside large gray
metallic boxes in most residential neighborhoods. In commercial areas,
it's even more interesting; when my parents ran an ISP, we had our
office in the Katerberg building up on Oak Industrial Drive. We had
two PRIs which ran forty feet before they connected to the DSLAM that
sat in the building's telephone closet.

[snip growing nested reply body]