[GRLUG] Reminder: Machine Vision on June 23

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 16:51:01 EDT 2011

Here's your final reminder for Thursday's special GRLUG+WMLUG+TGG
machine vision presentation:

In coordination with the GRLUG, WMLUG, and The Geek Group we have set
up a special event for Thursday, June 23 I think many of you will be
interested in.

Nate Oostendorp is an Ann Arbor resident hanging out in Holland for
the summer to pimp his new company Ingenuitas and the open source
software on which it’s based. The company is creating SimpleCV, an
easy to use wrapper around various other enigmatic open source machine
vision libraries such as OpenCV. Their aim is to make it easy for
anyone to hook a camera up to a computer and start using machine
vision in their projects.

Nate has some impressive credentials:

Nathan Oostendorp is an Open Source Entrepreneur, co-founder of
Slashdot.org, and worked 9 years as architect and director of
SourceForge.net. He has developed multiple successful online
communities, including Everything2.com and PerlMonks.org. His areas of
expertise include Software Archetecture, Information Economics,
Incentive design, and large-scale system operation. He holds an MS in
Information Science from the University of Michigan and a BS in
Computer Science from Hope College.

Nate gave a very interesting presentation to the Grand Rapids Python
User Group a few weeks ago. I think this meeting will appeal to anyone
that's wanted to make their computer interact with the real world,
enjoys mathematical algorithms, or is just into cool technology. There
will be some interesting demos and plenty of good discussions, so stop
on by.

When: June 23, 2011, 6PM - ??
Where: The Geek Group Headquarters, 902 Leonard St NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504

I have no idea how many people will come to this, so please RSVP by
adding yourself to this Doodle poll:
http://doodle.com/v2ze7rgqrp84ph58

And a few links to whet your appetite:
 http://oostendorp.net/