[GRLUG] strange audio levels problem

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 13:11:57 EDT 2011

'alsactl store' will save your sound settings so that they get
restored on bootup. That's reasonable and good.

Your problem is that PulseAudio is a per-user system, whereas ALSA is
system-wide. Here's what's most likely going on:

1) Your system enters its init sequence
2) Your system restores the ALSA settings saved by alsactl.
3) You log in
4) The first app to access PulseAudio (either directly or via the
ALSA->Pulse wrapper library) will spawn the PA daemon.
5) The PA daemon will adjust its internal mixer levels, and the ALSA
levels, as needed in order to satisfy whatever requests are made of
it.

Step 2 is where things start to go wrong, step 5 is where they're
going to go *really* wrong. In general, you're going to want ALSA
configured to its maximum clean volume output. (For my sound chipset,
this means loading up alsamixer and adjusting each level until each
gain level reads '0').

Once ALSA is configured to a good normalized baseline at system start,
your desktop session's sound daemon should behave better.

Two good links to go over if you're running Pulse, regardless of what
distro you're using:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup