[GRLUG] 'Hung' machine

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 12:20:15 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> We have a server in a remote data center that is having a problem, but I
> cannot tell it if is overloaded or actually unresponsive. I can ping it from
> another machine behind the firewall, but no ssh - hangs at negotiating the
> protocol.
>
> I *do* have an old bash session open from the other machine - the first two
> new-lines produced a bash prompt echo, however when I tried to do a 'df -h'
> I got no reply - just newlines. Tried <ctl>C (echos ^C), .. <ctl>D (just a
> newline), .. characters & commands (echo).
>
> Is anyone aware of a way to exploit this 'open' bash connection? Tried
> launching shell or bash, but nothing except the character echo.

You should be able to read from files in /proc, to get an idea of what
the system is actually doing. I don't remember off-hand how to
interpret most of the files in there.

Here are some instructions for how to read files directly from within
the shell, without having to launch the 'cat' process.

http://rosettacode.org/wiki/File_IO#UNIX_Shell