[GRLUG] Network Closet move

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Jun 15 10:54:36 EDT 2011

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Benjamin Flanders wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I'm in the position of having to move our networking "closet".  This
> isn't anything large, just 3 servers and 2 switches.  I'm just
> wondering if any of you have done anything similar and had any tips
> and tools that would make the job easier.  One part of the job is
> getting all the cat5 labeled, is there a tool out there that you hook
> up to one end of the cable and lets you know what line coming out of
> the ceiling is the corresponding cable?

Ben,

There are a number of cable-checkers, .. from the mundane to the fancy.
The simplest tool is a "fox & hounds" - a tone generator you plug into the
remote cable, then use the "receiver" to scan the incoming cables to
verify which one has the signal. Most electronics/network supply houses
will have multiple choices, such as:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Progressive-Electronics-200EP-77HP-Tracer-/140563219542?pt=BI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item20ba388456

	Lee