[GRLUG] Poll: OSI Model/Protocol

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Sun Jun 5 20:36:46 EDT 2011

Knowing the first few layers are, or at least used to be, important in
understanding network troubleshooting and optimization. Collision
domains, hub versus bridge / switch versus brouter or layer three
switch, and such. There are even fancier switches that can understand
clear up to Layer 7, I think, although I've never worked with them. You
need a pretty good understanding of the layers to figure out whether
your bandwidth problems can be solved by replacing hubs with switches
(in the unlikely event that anyone still has switches in service),
whether you need a layer 3 switch to fix things, if one of the
higher-layer ones is needed, or if new cable is the only solution.