[GRLUG] Windows XP from dualboot to VirtualBox

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Sat Jul 30 16:44:13 EDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-30 at 15:31 -0400, Dan Taylor wrote:
> On 07/30/2011 03:18 PM, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> > I've got an old computer with an old Fedora and Windows XP in a dualboot
> > setup.
> >
> > I want to move the XP to a VirtualBox VM on a Windows 7 box.
> >
> > I made a .tib of the XP C:\ partition with Acronis (older version) onto
> > an external HDD.
> >
> > I then connected the HDD to my Win7 box used a current version of
> > Acronis to convert the tib to a vhd.
> >
> > I then used that vhd to create a VM in VB on the Win7 box.
> >
> > When I tried to start the new VM I got this error: "GRUB Geom Error_".
> >
> > It came to me that this may have to do with the dual-boot setting of the
> > XP partition. But what would be the workaround?
> >
> > I'm thiking that I should uninstall the Fedora and get the Windows
> > install free of GRUB. But how would I do that? I want to save this
> > installation because of old programs running on it.
> >
> > Thanks.
> Mount an XP CD in VirtualBox with that XP vhd mounted and get into the
> recovery console and use fixboot / fixmbr

The VM I'm trying to create I'm calling 'Sony.'

Not sure I'm understanding what to do. I put the XP installation disk in
the host CD drive and in the settings for the 'Sony' VM I set the CD/DVD
drive to "Host Drive D." But when I try to start it, thinking it should
boot from the CD now, I get the error message "Cannot open host drive D:
\ for read only access. Check the permissions of that device. Verr
Access Denied."