[GRLUG] Windows XP from dualboot to VirtualBox

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Sat Jul 30 15:18:25 EDT 2011

I've got an old computer with an old Fedora and Windows XP in a dualboot
setup.

I want to move the XP to a VirtualBox VM on a Windows 7 box.

I made a .tib of the XP C:\ partition with Acronis (older version) onto
an external HDD.

I then connected the HDD to my Win7 box used a current version of
Acronis to convert the tib to a vhd.

I then used that vhd to create a VM in VB on the Win7 box.

When I tried to start the new VM I got this error: "GRUB Geom Error_".

It came to me that this may have to do with the dual-boot setting of the
XP partition. But what would be the workaround?

I'm thiking that I should uninstall the Fedora and get the Windows
install free of GRUB. But how would I do that? I want to save this
installation because of old programs running on it.

Thanks.