[GRLUG] RFCs, LaTeX and metadata.

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Sat Jul 30 10:13:16 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 09:30:35AM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> If you check out http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcxx00.html , you can get
> a listing of all current, non-obsoleted RFCs.
>
> I'd like to get all of these into a single, well-organized ePub, so I
> can throw it on the Nook and read them in a reflowable format. I
> *think* LaTeX is probably the best starting place. However, I (a)
> don't know LaTeX well at all, and (b), I'd like to work on it with
> people who know it well enough to help me avoid making stupid
> mistakes.
>
> (Little is more annoying than spending a weeks' worth of free time on
> something, only to be told at the end, "why didn't you do it this
> way?" ... Actually, that's how my last vacation was spent.)
>
> The source documents are all preformatted plaintext. To my knowledge,
> that's generally their original format, as well. Conversion to a
> reflowable format will require a lot of manual work.

I know a little bit of LaTeX.  What is a "reflowable format"?
Adjustable width?  (Why, on a Nook?)

If the documents are in plaintext you may want to check out pandoc.

http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/

In the examples it shows a README file converted to .epub.  The example
for .epub is impressive.
--
john-thomas
------