[GRLUG] Linux Compatible Voice Modem

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 18:37:37 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Team Xlink
<teamxlinksolitudedev at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking a Linux compatible voice modem. I plan to use it for a dial-in
> server in Linux.
> The problem is most PCI modems are limited to windows only.
> Does anyone know of a particular modem with Linux drivers?
> Thank you.

Most "winmodems" have drivers available for Linux. I think they're
even standardized, I just can't remember the name of the standard.

Winmodems are just modems that do all the complicated signal
processing in software. There exist daemons on Linux which will handle
this.

If you want something that's not a winmodem, then what you're looking
for is a serial modem; I wouldn't trust an old 'hardware' modem PCI
device.