[GRLUG] hacked

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Thu Jul 28 01:03:10 EDT 2011

The key word there is passwords, plural, not password, singular. Yes, if
you can't memorize a single password then you have problems. But
expecting a human to recognize twenty different, unique, unguessable
passwords is asking a lot. Especially if it's one that you will only
need every few months. How many separate, random passwords can you keep
in your head, and how do you keep track of which one goes with which site?

The problem is that if you only have one password, or a multiple-tier
system where you maintain three or four, then if one of those sites is
compromised, so is the information in all the other sites where you used
that password. LastPass and similar systems save you from this by
forcing you to remember just the one good password, easily within the
capability of most adults, and use that one to unlock unique passwords
for everything else. If one of those sites is compromised and the
password database stolen (which happens far more often than it should)
then the rest of your passwords are safe.