[GRLUG] hacked

Matt Michielsen matt at michielsen.us
Wed Jul 27 10:46:04 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Casey DuBois <casey at grlug.org> wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> My Yahoo seems to have been hacked by a spambot.
>
> It looks to have started at 7:40 and I got the first copy from myself
> at around 7:43.
> From what I can see it started hitting some heavy bounce/returns about
> that time and may have stopped or got blocked.
> I was able to change my password by 8ish but it looks like the damage
> had been done.
>
> So I changed my password with twice as many numbers letters and am in
> the process of assessing all passwords on all accounts I have.
>
> What else can I do?
>
> Casey DuBois
> 616-808-6942
> casey at grlug.org

I'd start by finding some password management solution (KeePass, LastPass,
etc). From there, generate random (and different) passwords for everything
and memorize a strong password to unlock them. Also look into two-factor
authentication for any services that support it (I've been using it for my
Google account for a while).