[GRLUG] XBMC

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Jul 25 07:36:32 EDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-07-24 at 19:01 -0400, Philip J. Robar wrote:
> On Jul 24, 2011, at 4:36 PM, Ron Lauzon wrote:
> > How does it compare to something like an Mvix Ultio?
> > <http://www.mvixusa.com/ultio/1080p-high-definition-home-theater-pc.html>
> Mvix Ultio is a physical product, albeit by it specs. a quite capable
> one. On the other hand, it doesn't appear to have any support for
> plug-ins for internet media sources like Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, etc.
> XBMC is multi-platform open sourced software that lets you build your
> own Ultio like device. It has extensive plug-in support, but no
> official or working support for many (any?) of the commercial non-free
> internet sources.

That is a serious bummer.   I have AT&T U-verse, which has no support
for 'other' services like Amazon.  So I keep a Tivo Series 2 online just
to be able to access Amazon.

> One thing I noticed is that Mvix's Ultio only claims to be a UPnP
> client. XBMC is not only both a UPnP client and a server, it is also a
> DLNA certified client and server.

Have you tested the DLNA support with any clients, such as Banshee or
the current Android devices?  I researched DNLA servers and there
doesn't seem to be much.