[GRLUG] Two topics...multicast and traffic shaping.

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 13:57:38 EDT 2011

With IPv6 up and working very well at home (6to4), I've got two things
I want to get working properly on my network, next.

The first is traffic shaping. With my current connection, I don't
really face noticeable bandwidth limitations, but it's still something
I'd like to get straight.

My thought is, the majority of latency-sensitive traffic is going to
be on UDP (VOIP, etc), or is going to be on TCP with small packets
(ssh sessions and the like). So if I set up traffic shaping to give
top priority to UDP packets and to small packets, I should broadly
cover my common cases for low-latency traffic, correct? (Anticipated
glitches: UDP VPNs and high-bandwidth UDP streams)

The second is multicast. My impression is that Comcast's backbone
supports multicast; DOCSIS 2 and DOCSIS 3 both have specific allowance
for it, and it's recommended in manufacturer docs for cable ISPs
wanting to deliver video. My firewall logs currently show that I'm
dropping packets with multicast destination IPs, so I know I have some
fixes to do, there. However, I don't expect that my router is
currently routing multicast traffic through to my internal network.

Does anyone have any experience with enabling multicast on a Debian
system? I thought I just needed to install mrouted, but there isn't
even a package for it.