[GRLUG] Time Clocks and Software

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 13:56:27 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Ben Rousch <brousch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Ben Rousch <brousch at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Bill Littlejohn <billl at mtd-inc.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>> Thanks for putting that together. I ended up buying "Getting Started
>>> with Arduino" [1], and put together an estimate along with some of the
>>> other options. The boss decided to go with a used Linux netbook and
>>> USB relay, which is still a fun little project (Linux and Python).
>>>
>>> If nothing else I learned what sort of things an Arduino could be used
>>> for. Another tool in the box; now I need a nail to hit it with.
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Started-Arduino-Make-Projects/dp/0596155514/
>>
>> You realize you're going to have to turn this experience into a
>> Barcamp presentation, right? :)
>
> That was definitely my plan if we'd gone the Arduino route. Unless I'm
> missing something (which is possible), the usb relay is rather mundane
> for BarCamp.

I don't think so, myself. Adding roles to an already-running Linux box
seems more efficient then adding an additional micropower to my
apartment's energy consumption. You could do it in one of the 5-minute
lightning rounds, if you don't think you could reasonably consume 20
minutes of audience attention...