[GRLUG] Time Clocks and Software

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 11:11:06 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Bill Littlejohn <billl at mtd-inc.com> wrote:

>> This is more along the lines of what I thought people would suggest.
>> Very interesting. My major concern with this is clock drift. Ideally
>> the clock needs to be correct to within a few seconds, or I need to be
>> able to regularly correct time via something like NTP. Also I have no
>> experience with Arduino, so there would be a learning curve.
>
> If your still interested in the DIY approach, the chronodot has much better
> accuracy than the DS1307. Adafruit says the ChronoDot will drift less than a
> minute per year.
> http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=42&products_id=255

Would I even need a clock on the Arduino if it's tripping the relay
whenever it gets a signal over ethernet? I am clueless about this, so
maybe it needs a clock to even hold down the relay for 2 seconds?

> Alternatively, I found this:
> http://www.moxa.com/product/ioLogik_E1214.htm
> http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=ethernet+relay&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=8772336975750602054&ei=jj1ATfXUE4zAgQegrc37Ag&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CEgQ8wIwBA#

The Arduino solution looks like the least expensive so far. Do you
have any resource suggestions for getting me going in Arduinoville?

--
  Ben Rousch
  brousch at gmail.com
  http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/