[GRLUG] IPv6 readiness

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 00:01:31 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://test-ipv6.com/
> I'm running Kubuntu 10.10
> The test above says I'm not IPv6 ready,
> and am now surfing using IPv4 only.
> At one of the Saturday socials,
> someone suggested that 10.10
> might come IPv6 ready.

That site tests several things, but all of them will require IPv6
connectivity. I'm _certain_ Ubuntu 10.10 configures IPv6, at least for
link-local addressing. To wit:

shortcircuit at serenity~
04:33:32 $ ping6 -I eth0 -c2 ff02::1
PING ff02::1(ff02::1) from fe80::224:8cff:fe6e:516a eth0: 56 data bytes
64 bytes from fe80::224:8cff:fe6e:516a: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.041 ms
64 bytes from fe80::214:d1ff:fe19:c73: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.03 ms (DUP!)
64 bytes from fe80::202:b3ff:feac:8d23: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=2.35 ms (DUP!)
64 bytes from fe80::1e6f:65ff:fe22:8f32: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=3.66 ms (DUP!)
64 bytes from fe80::224:8cff:fe6e:516a: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.040 ms

--- ff02::1 ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, +3 duplicates, 0% packet loss, time 1001ms

That's _from_ my Gentoo box. Those ping results show four respondents
to an IPv6 broadcast ping on the link-local scope. Apart from
fe80::224:8cff:fe6e:516a, which is obviously my local machine (it has
the fastest response time), I don't know which machine is which
distro.

However, they're all Linux machines. One is going to be Gentoo, one is
going to be Debian 5, at least one is going to be Ubuntu 10.10, and
the remainder will either be Ubuntu 10.10, Arch or an Android phone
attached to my wifi. Except the Debian 5 machine (which is my router
box), none of them have had individual or special attention from me
for enabling IPv6. The most I've done is work on security auditing to
make sure I don't have any unprotected ports I don't want accessible
from the public Internet.

Mind you, these are all link-local addresses. You still need global
IPv6 addresses on a machine in order for any of test-ipv6.net's tests
to work.

You can get those address any number of ways, but the two most
straightforward ways, on a particular machine, are going to be:

A) Have your network router broadcasting RAs, which are IPv6's
mechanism for having routers announce their presence and the area of
address space they're responsible for, allowing hosts to choose their
own IPv6 addresses in that address space.
B) Set up a tunnel from that machine to allow it to get IPv6 address
in an otherwise IPv4-only environment.

The vast majority of ISPs in the United States don't provide native
IPv6 transport, and, as far as I know, no mainstream SOHO router
device (i.e. any router device branded Netgear, 2WIRE, Linksys, ASUS,
etc) comes with IPv6 support, so if you're running such a mainstream
router device, and you don't make changes to that router device,
you're going to need to set up a tunnel from the _specific_ machine
you want to configure with IPv6 access.

> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20110124#qa
> Maybe not.  Anyone have any
> insights here?

Reread that article; it links you to a page on setting up a tunnel,
which is what you would need to do if you haven't set up an IPv6
router on your local system.

Alternatively, look at a firmware upgrade or some such that would add
IPv6 routing capability to it. (You can use 6to4 to get your own 48
bits of address space built off of your public IPv4 address. That's
worked reasonably well for me.)

>  Should on just wait
> for June 8, 2011, and see what
> happens?

No! Any site participating in World IPv6 day will go off-line for you.

> Is this an OS issue, a
> browser issue, or both?
>   -- Bob

Fundamentally, it's an issue with your router; if you fix your router
to broadcast RAs on your local network, most of your machines should
autoconfigure automatically. If you can't fix your router, then reread
that article and look at the page it linked to for setting up a
tunnel:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IPv6#Getting%20Connected
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/ipvsix?text=1