[GRLUG] AFTR - an ISC IPv6 transition tool

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sat Jan 15 14:09:20 EST 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 13:06 -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
> http://www.isc.org/software/aftr
> It sounds like a tool intended to allow IPv6-only client nodes to
> access IPv4-only content providers over an IPv6 network.
> Here's what I find *particularly* interesting. They credit Comcast as
> a co-developer partner. The implication is that America's largest
> broadband provider is researching giving their end-users native IPv6
> functionality.

I've talked to Comcast customers who indicated they *have* [currently]
IPv6 connectivity.    Suddenly IPv6 enabled hosts [LINUX, Windows
Vista/7] suddenly acquire routable IPv6 addresses (the cable models run
an IPv6 router address discovery service [radvd]).

Also IPv6 is included in recent versions of DOCSIS [3.0?] so all current
cable modems support it.  IPv6 support has been available as an
extension to DOCSIS 2.0 for some time.

Several carriers have adopted IPv6 on their backbone even if they don't
yet open it up to their customers for management purposes [IPv6 is
easier to administer at-scale than IPv4].  In that case something like
AFTR makes a great deal of sense.

As an aside, the IPv4 address space exists as a section of the IPv6
address space; so IPv4 addresses have been reachable from IPv6 since day
one.  Either via ::ffff:0:0/96 or 2002::/16 (although, of course, the
devil is in the details).