[GRLUG] remote sessions

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Mon Jan 10 08:05:28 EST 2011

I've been accessing my Lenovo Linux laptop (my main computer) from a
Win7 laptop using NoMachine, since the screen on the Lenova is down
(hopefully to recover once the inverter I've ordered arrives).

It seems that
1.  When I access remotely, NoMachine starts a new session.
2.  NoMachine cannot connect unless I have already logged into the
Lenovo.

So my question is: What's the explanation for the fact that I need to be
logged into a session on the Lenovo before NoMachine can create a new
session? (Fortunately, even without a screen, I can type my password
into the Lenovo when Ubuntu makes its "ready" noise. But what if one
were truly running "headless"?)

Thanks.