[GRLUG] Storage Request

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Fri Feb 25 13:49:36 EST 2011

On 02/25/2011 11:21 AM, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Casey DuBois wrote:
>
>> Hello GRLUGGERS,
>>
>> I got the following Storage Request from a customer but need some
>> Linux help from the group.
>>
>> Here's what he's asking for:
>>
>> Looking for NAS Storage System, What I'm really looking for a system
>> which will provide storage accessible by both Linux and Windows
>> systems with decent performance.
>>
> We've had good luck with the LG NAS boxes (specifically N2R2DD2 - 2T
> RAID1), .. ARM CPUs, out-of-the-box useful, but installing a mod kernel
> gives you ssh access, rsync, and the ability to turn on nfs.
>
> The option would to use a small Shuttle chassis and build your own.
That sounds like the way to go to me. If you need more storage than what
an SFF chassis can provide, use a real case. A board with chipset
gigabit and SATA controllers should give you plenty of power, or you
could add a RAID card of some kind for even more throughput.

I recently bought a Netgear Stora, which is a consumer-grade 2-drive NAS
box. It works, it's quiet, it's Linux-hackable, and it's low power, but
it's not speedy. It has a gigabit network port built in, but the ARM
processor in it is slow enough that I don't get transfers any faster
than what 100 meg can do.

I don't have any first-hand knowledge of these, but I've heard fairly
good things about the Buffalo LinkStation line. They're more expensive
than a Stora, but more powerful. Some of them can take 4 drives rather
than the Stora's 2.