[GRLUG] Storage Request

Casey DuBois casey at grlug.org
Fri Feb 25 10:58:20 EST 2011

Hello GRLUGGERS,

I got the following Storage Request from a customer but need some
Linux help from the group.

Here's what he's asking for:

Looking for NAS Storage System, What I’m really looking for a system
which will provide storage accessible by both Linux and Windows
systems with decent performance.  We’re currently connected via CIFS
from Windows to Linux with slow performance.  I believe I’ve seen NAS
systems can bridge between these two system type.  Things in
particular I’m looking for are probably SAS drives and 10Gbit
connectivity.  Probably somewhere between 4 to 10TB storage space
would be good.

I was hoping that some in the group have had experience with making
storage accessible by Linux and Windows systems without the
performance issues he is currently seeing.

Suggestions?
Questions?
Comments?

Casey DuBois