[GRLUG] partitioning help

Topher topher at codeventure.net
Thu Feb 24 14:46:07 EST 2011

Ok, you know that HP box I said I decided not to get?  I got it anyway.

It came with Win7 Home Premium on it.  I almost always dual boot my
machines, and if they come with windows I like to leave the original
install on it.  If nothing else then when it break I can have the repair
guy see what he expects.

I'm starting to put LMDE on it, and I'm a bit stumped on the partitioning.

It's a 1T drive, and it comes with three partitions already on it.  In
gparted it says the first is SYSTEM, and 100MiB.  The second is OS and
918.17 GiB, and the third is HP_RECOVERY, 13.25GiB.

So I resized thhe big one down to 250G, leaving the rest to be chopped up
for Linux.

Except you can't have more than 4 primary partitions.  AND gparted has
"logical" greyed out as a partition type.

What to do?  Is the lack of a logical option LMDE's fault?  If I booted
from that gparted live distro would it let me do it?  Do I need to bite
the bullet and wipe out the HP_RECOVERY partition?

Save me GRLUG....kenobe.... you're my only hope!

Topher