[GRLUG] Is ITT Tech a Good School?

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Tue Feb 22 09:23:03 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 08:58 -0500, Jonathon Klobucar wrote:

> > There are a lot of certification programs out there which compress
> > semester-long courses into one-week or three-day hands-on runs.
>

> > linux+ is a place to start if you really really want a cert.
>
> > At this stage, if you're considering spending the coin to go back to
> > school for a couple years, consider spending that same coin on a
> > round
> > of certs and workshops. In the computer field, cert programs are
> > almost certainly going to be more up-to-speed on the industry than
> > college courses. (I've got an acquaintance who's taking a class
> > involving Fedora who has been having difficulty because the version
> > of
> > Fedora they're using came out after their textbook)
> >
> > Also, the best way to learn to do anything right is to eat your own
> > dogfood the way the cat learned to swim*. Back up your Windows
> > install, wipe your system, install Linux and go to town learning how
> > to use it.
> >
> > Finally, there are a lot of good general knowledge books available
> > on
> > just about any subject you want to pick up.
> >
> > Or take the slightly less insane route and wean yourself more
> > slowly. :)
> >
> > * Don't you just _love_ mixed metaphors?

@MooselikeBriard:
If you're already using Linux to rescue your Windows systems you
probably know what you'd get from an intro Linux/Unix courge (eg at
KVCC, where I took mine).

The advantages I see to a bachelors degree program:
--More training in logic/math/programming than you'd get from
self-study. This varies by individual, but even if your objective is
sysadmin/security, you probably need to be reasonably good at scripting
and programming
--(Hopefully) faculty who can answer questions. When you're on a steep
learning curve this is much more efficient than mailing lists and
forums.
--Employers in many cases want the breadth and depth of a 4-year degree.
Even in IT writing skills and acquaintance with humanities are
important.  I remember a student I had years ago who started as a
business major and then, for whatever reason, switched to a double major
in philosophy and economics. He then went on to law school. Given what I
know of his innate ability, I don't think the business major would have
given him the abilities he needed to succeed in law school.

On the other hand, if you just want to get good at Linux and otherwise
know your way around computers and at least some about programming,
self-study can take you a long way.

Some people are well-known for dissing formal education, but we're not
all equally quick and equally capable of disciplined self-study.