[GRLUG] download slowdown

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 09:18:19 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Eric Beversluis
<ebever at researchintegration.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 13:41 +0000, Michael Mol wrote:
>> > --the download manager somehow choked the process?
>>
>> Possible. What were you using for a download manager?
> It was one that the webbrowser started-some Java download mgr, not the
> Firefox download mgr, I think.

I like DownloadThemAll as a download manager for Firefox. Works pretty
nicely. You should give it a try.

>> These last couple days, DSL might show weird behaviors from the
>> weather. Cable might show huge variances in throughput based on
>> crowding from a lot of people being home for the snow storm and
>> crowding the local loop with streaming video and video games.
> My assumption was that anything like this would be reflected in the
> Speakeasy readings as well.

You got two different measurements from SE, didn't you? Or was one of
those your upstream?

Network traffic can be bursty. I don't know if it'd be bursty enough
to cause the kinds of differences you're seeing.