[GRLUG] Documentation

Jeff DeFouw jeffd at i2k.com
Mon Feb 21 23:31:20 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 05:47:31PM -0500, Bob Kline wrote:
> Could someone put together a little word
> salad about current day Linux documentation?
> e.g., I see something like openssl-doc.  What's
> a standard way to access that?
>
> /usr/share/doc is the main repository?

It depends on the project and how they document.  Long manuals tend to
end up in -doc packages, and the man pages tell you to go there for all
but a brief overview.  There doesn't seem to be a standard structure,
except that it all goes under /usr/share/doc/related-package.  Some
documentation goes in /package/, some goes in /package-doc/.  Often it's
HTML, but that's not always true.  Sometimes you just get a README file
in /usr/share/doc/package, or Debian makes one.  If it's HTML, you can
point your browser at it, but you have to figure out the directory
yourself.  If you install apache, Debian automatically sets up
http://localhost/doc/ , and some packages depend on that for easy
navigation, but again, you have to know what directory to start in.

--
Jeff DeFouw <jeffd at i2k.com>