[GRLUG] screen problem (continued from November)

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 09:15:11 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 2:29 AM, Eric Beversluis
<ebever at researchintegration.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 08:22 -0500, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> Just today the screen popped back on after not working for several
> weeks. During that time, there would occasionally be a flicker of life
> in the screen (typically the Lenovo splash screen showing just for a
> second or so); there seems always to be a very faint image (eg, I can
> just make out the form of the logon screen and once I log in I can
> ever-so-faintly make out the Desktop).
>
> What happened just before screen popped on: I had been running an NX
> session as usual. From terminal in NX I did 'sudo init 0'. Then before
> the Lenovo had completely shut down I removed the power cable to use it
> on another box. Just as the shutdown completed I saw ever-so-briefly the
> Ubuntu logo. When I rebooted after a couple of hrs (without the power
> cable), the screen worked perfectly. Plugging the power cable in after a
> bit did not affect screen operation.
>
> Experiment: hibernate and restart. Result: screen came back fine. But,
> based on past experience, I'm expecting it to go out again at any time.
>
> Web research suggested that this kind of problem related to the screen
> power inverter. After a frustrating month, I finally got a new inverter
> delivered and that did not make any difference.
>
> Lenovo 3000 N100.
>
> Thanks.

Sounds like it might be an electrical or mechanical problem. Outside
the power inverter, I'd guess your cable might be flaky, or possibly
the video controller. We've got similar problems with one of our
laptops. Though our case is probably slightly different; if you leave
it alone long enough, it looks like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28208534@N07/3767294627/