[GRLUG] Co-location hosting in or near GR/Muskegon

Rob Steenwyk rsteenwyk at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 22:47:40 EST 2011

I work for Trivalent, but off the top of my head I have no idea what we
charge for co-lo. I can find out tomorrow if you want? We do have a pretty
nice datacenter in Grandville. My guess is our price is on the higher end to
be completely honest.

joseph.vanderstelt at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 11-02-13 06:54 PM, Ben Rousch wrote:

>>> I can't speak for Bruce, but generally people co-locate for one of two
>>> reasons: 1. You actually control your own hardware instead of a
>>> virtual machine ultimately owned by someone else in a far-off land. 2.
>>> You can have much larger amounts of RAM and especially HD in your own
>>> server compared to what you can usually get from a VPS for the same
>>> price.
>>>

>> Ben, you got it absolutely correct. What I am doing requires a large
amount of CPU usage and RAM. I have all the hardware, I just need better
bandwidth, no port blocking, and a static IP would be nice. The current 2M
up on my residential line is not keeping up. I am also displeased with the
blocking of incoming ports such as port 80.

>> Like I said before, I have the hardware and want to put it to task.
>>
>> ASUS KGPE-D16 Dual Socket G34 AMD Mother Board
>> AMD Opteron 6128 Magny-Cours 2.0GHz Socket G34 115W 8-Core Server
Processor
>> Crucial 6GB DDR3 1333
>> Corsair Nova 32GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive
>>
>> Planning on buying standard hard drives for bulk storage and back-ups at
some point.

>> http://loric.dyndns.org:90/junk/

>> It is honestly just a project for my own enjoyment and learning. This is
why price is a major factor. Though, I have considered providing free or
extremely cheap hosting to some non-profit groups like the Muskegon Railroad
Historical Society.