[GRLUG] Co-location hosting in or near GR/Muskegon

Joseph VanDerStelt joseph.vanderstelt at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 20:31:50 EST 2011

On 11-02-13 06:54 PM, Ben Rousch wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Mike Williams<knightperson at zuzax.com>  wrote:
>> I'm curious. Why insist on colocating your own hardware at that kind of
>> price when you can rent a virtual machine from a cloud provider like
>> Amazon's S3 much more cheaply? Is there some specialized hardware on the
>> machines that can't be virtualized, or maybe security fears?
> I can't speak for Bruce, but generally people co-locate for one of two
> reasons: 1. You actually control your own hardware instead of a
> virtual machine ultimately owned by someone else in a far-off land. 2.
> You can have much larger amounts of RAM and especially HD in your own
> server compared to what you can usually get from a VPS for the same
> price.

Ben, you got it absolutely correct. What I am doing requires a large
amount of CPU usage and RAM. I have all the hardware, I just need better
bandwidth, no port blocking, and a static IP would be nice. The current
2M up on my residential line is not keeping up. I am also displeased
with the blocking of incoming ports such as port 80.

Like I said before, I have the hardware and want to put it to task.

ASUS KGPE-D16 Dual Socket G34 AMD Mother Board
AMD Opteron 6128 Magny-Cours 2.0GHz Socket G34 115W 8-Core Server Processor
Crucial 6GB DDR3 1333
Corsair Nova 32GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive

Planning on buying standard hard drives for bulk storage and back-ups at
some point.

http://loric.dyndns.org:90/junk/

>> On 02/13/2011 04:30 PM, Clay Ashby wrote:
>>
>> I'm interested in the details. I'm planning on doing some hosting services
>> in the future. Is this purely for redundancy; like a "hot site"? Is it for
>> hosting websites redundantly, or other services as well?
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Bruce Smith<blubdog at gmail.com>  wrote:

It is honestly just a project for my own enjoyment and learning. This is
why price is a major factor. Though, I have considered providing free or
extremely cheap hosting to some non-profit groups like the Muskegon
Railroad Historical Society.