[GRLUG] Debian Release Party

Ryan Pusztai rpusztai at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 13:57:52 EST 2011

Bob,

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is Mint Debian?  The distrowatch.com
> entry for Mint says that it is based on Debian
> and Ubuntu.  Since Ubuntu is based on
> Debian, what then is Mint?
>
> i.e., if one says Ubuntu is Debian because
> it is based on Debian, most distributions are
> Debian.  One could say Ubuntu Debian?
>
> Not sure how any of this matters, but if
> everything is Debian, why call anything
> a Ubuntu variation?

Linux Mint is normally based upon Ubuntu, but Mint Debian (LMDE) <
http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php>  is now based directly off of
Debian, not Ubuntu. There are many Mint flavors, this just happens to be a
new one that has the rolling release I want with the good installer and
Debian package system. I found the default Debian Squeeze installer left a
bit to be desired in comparison to Ubuntu and Mint, so I appreciate what
Mint brings to the table.

I am very new to Mint so these are just my first impressions, but it is
meeting my every requirement, once I enabled the unstable repos.
--
Regards,
Ryan