[GRLUG] installing MySQL

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 15:23:29 EST 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 3:15 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> At 02:05 PM 12/13/2011, you wrote:
> Note the use of "aptitude" instead of "apt-get" - aptitude is a unified
> interface to the package system that allows things like searches (aptitude
> search) and local install (aptitude install <filename>) not possible with
> apt-get.
>>

>> apt-cache query? dpkg -i ? :-D
>

> Why?? aptitude is a single 'interface' to packages, .. no switches
> necessary, .. no 'buried' commands!
>
> Besides, it's the same 'design' as zypper, so that's one less protocol to
> memorize.

"aptitude search"

..."search" is your switch. When most of the rest of the commands
begin with "apt-", you can find them by typing "apt-" and hitting
'tab' a couple times. Nothing wrong with that. (Also, does 'aptitude'
include the functionality of 'apt-file'?)

It doesn't remove any complexity at all, it merely moves it all into a
single binary. That's not bad, but it's not good, either. It's
certainly been the direction CLI tools have been moving of late.
("ip", "svn", "hg" and "git" all behave similarly)

I *do* love aptitude for its interactive package selection mode; it's
a vast improvement over dselect, and easier (IMO) to use than
synaptic.