[GRLUG] Bodhi Linux

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Wed Aug 31 13:14:00 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 01:09:14PM -0400, John-Thomas Richards wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 12:31:43PM -0400, Bob Kline wrote:
>
> > Anyway care to provide a small word salad about what e17 is?
>
> e17 is the in-development replacement for e16.  e16 is a window manager
> whereas e17 will be a desktop environment (like GNOME or KDE, but
> better).  The Enlightenment Foundation Libraries (which are stable and
> have been released) are stupid fast and can be used on phones with
> incredible speed.  (They handle the behind-the-scenes graphics stuff.)
>
> http://enlightenment.org

This is from the website:

"We have run and tested on x86-32, x86-64, Atom, Power-PC, ARM (ARM9,
ARM11, Cortex-A8 and more), MIPS, Sparc, and many other architectures.
The suggested minimum RAM required for a full Linux system + EFL
application is 16MB, but you may be able to get by on 8MB. For full
functionality 64MB or more is suggested. As little as a 200Mhz ARM core
will provide sufficient processing power (depending on needs).

"Screens from even less than QVGA (320x240 or 240x320) screens all the
way up to and beyond full-HD (1920x1080) are covered by EFL. It has the
ability to scale user interfaces to almost any sane resolution, as well
as adapt to differing input device resolutions, from mouse and stylus to
fat fingers. It can draw displays from e-paper through 8-bit paletted
displays, 16bit beautifully dithered ones all the way to full 24/32bit
OLED beauties."

Notice the recommended RAM.  Sixty-four megabytes.  For a full desktop
environment.

[snip]
--
john-thomas