[GRLUG] mirroring function

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 13:38:52 EDT 2011

I have a USB backup drive, which I only
turn on when I want to back up my system.
And I only do that now and then for time
reasons - even on a USB 2 connection it
takes a couple of hours for a full backup.

So what I like to do is incremental backups.
The way I do that now is simply to mount the
drive and run "cp -Rpu . /drive/directory" from
the top of the directory area that I want to
back up.

This works fine except that the "u" option
ensures that anything on the primary drive
not on the backup drive is copied over, but things
that are not on the primary drive, and are on
the backup drive, do not get erased, which is
what I want.  I've read the man page, and
there does not seem to be an option for doing
this.

What I'm really looking for is a mirroring
function, but only on a now and then basis,
not having two drives running all the time.

Suggestions?  I hear that rsync does something
like this.  Can it do this locally, between two
drives?  i.e., I don't need the "remote" part.

  -- Bob