[GRLUG] Google problem?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 14:18:16 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Jeff DeFouw <mrj at plorb.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 11:40:38AM -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
>> At 11:31 AM 8/27/2011, you wrote:
>> >Not all of the words are required.
>> >To require one or more of the words
>> >be used, put a + in front of it. ?
>> >
>> >e.g.  +zebra
>>
>> Interesting, .. got a couple of additional hits, but only ONE of
>> them actually INCLUDES Zebra.
>
> If I search for
>
> +zebra rs232 cable diagram
>
> 9 of the 10 results on the first page include the word "zebra"
> highlighted right in the result page.
>
> You must be using the wrong Internet.

I have had numerous searches where Google took a WYGIWYM approach to
interpreting queries. It'd try a searches based on assumed (or
presumed) typos, etc. Often, I haven't been able to identify wtf it
thought a particular page was appropriate to my query, even if I
looked at cached versions of it--I couldn't find the most important
pieces of my search string in the page it brought up.

Then again, I tend to search on obscure and technical subjects.