[GRLUG] Linux use

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Fri Aug 26 12:30:27 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 08:38:42AM -0400, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> Well...yes and no.
> There are a zillion workers out there still tied to desktop computers
> who don't even get laptops at work.
>
> Based on what I've observer, tablets and smartphones will almost always
> be used in conjunction with desktops or laptops. Anything requiring
> significant data input (pace bluetooth keyboards) will not be done on
> tablets, let alone smartphones--at least till voice recognition is much

Tablets are this year's version of netbooks: handy, portable, and not
useful for serious work.  There are several in my master's program who
try to type on their iPads during class.  I cannot imagine writing a
20-page paper on one—nor can they.

[snip]

Regarding Linux on the desktop, that arrived (for me) in 1997.  I used
to care whether Linux would take over Microsoft's monopoly position
until I realized that I don't run Windows and haven't since 1997 (except
when working for organizations that required me to use their PCs but not
on my personal computer).  What do I care which OS
[insert-business-name] provides for its employees?  I don't work there.
Debian with OpenBox, vim, Kile, mutt, evolution, Firefox, and a few
others is all *I* need to be productive.
--
john-thomas
------