[GRLUG] Linux use

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Fri Aug 26 08:38:42 EDT 2011

Well...yes and no.
There are a zillion workers out there still tied to desktop computers
who don't even get laptops at work.

Based on what I've observer, tablets and smartphones will almost always
be used in conjunction with desktops or laptops. Anything requiring
significant data input (pace bluetooth keyboards) will not be done on
tablets, let alone smartphones--at least till voice recognition is much
more advanced. (But my iPhone does have a marvelous voice2text from
Dragon. But the input all needs to transport to the cloud to be
converted and then transport back. But that's just a matter of storage
and refining of the app.)

Finally, even tablets and smartphones have "desktops", that is to say,
user-interaction loci. This is where Mac wipes up both on traditional
computers and their mini-siblings. I've had an Android Xoom for a week
or so now. Although I like it a lot, I don't think the
"desktop/user-interaction screens" are up to those on my boss's iPad.

I've heard sounds that Mac Lion is being influenced by iPad design and
considerations. Perhaps, too, work on Android UI will help move desktop
and laptop "desktops" along.