[GRLUG] OS CAD

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 21:47:47 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 18:50 -0400, Ben Rousch wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 6:07 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
>> > Working on a new project, and it would be nice to be able to see the .dwgs
>> > of the installation for reference
>> > Before I try one of the 1000+ 'free viewers' out there, can anyone
>> > recommend a *simple* CAD program [for a non-CAD user] that will read/write
>> > .dwg files?
>> Muahahahahahahah. Welcome to my hell.
>> But seriously, your best bet right now is probably
>> http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/download-draftsight
>> > The other option would be import into OO Draw, but there doesn't seem to
>> > be any concrete information as to if it is possible.
>> Not gonna work.
>
> +1
>
> DWG is nuts-to-struts proprietary.  Welcome to hell.
>
> And "simple" and "CAD" don't have anything to do with each other.

Simple and CAD are not mutually exclusive.  QCad is, for me, a very
simple and intuitive 2d cad.  I've used it to draw up my house and a
bunch of projects.  It uses .dxf not dwg, but I thought I'd put it out
there because "someone on the internet was wrong".  :)  nah I really
shouldn't say wrong, but just a different opinion than I.

Share and Enjoy
Ben