[GRLUG] want to buy a B&W printer

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Tue Aug 9 11:49:57 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 11:19:26AM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> > well, and people continue to get gouged pretty deeply by the cost.
> >  Get a big office machine and the ink containers hold a pint of ink.
> >  In a home printers it's a tiny thimble full.
>
> Ink can spoil, btw. We had a professional HP color inkjet here at the
> office that went unused for too long, and the ink spoiled. (I think it
> dried out, not sure.)

I've had cartridges dry out.  It's very frustrating to have ~$30 worth
of ink dry up and be unusable.

For total cost of ownership laser printers are the way to go.  You pay
more up front but the cost per page is significantly lower.  Over the
course of several years (which the average laser printer *will* last)
the savings on toner will more than compensate for the higher cost of
the printer.
--
john-thomas
------