[GRLUG] want to buy a B&W printer

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 10:59:19 EDT 2011

It's one of those things that Just Works when you plug it into Ubuntu;
what's not to love? :P

Actually, for me, it's a funny story. About a year and a half ago, I
needed a cheap laser printer to take with me to a roleplay session,
for printing character sheets. I went to Office Depot, looked at the
printers and prices, and grabbed the one that seemed most appropriate.
Worked fine. I left that printer at the roleplay site for several
months.

About a year ago, I needed a cheap printer for home, so I went to
Office Depot, looked at the printers and prices, and grabbed the one
that seemed the most appropriate. I didn't really remember anything
about what type of printer I'd bought previously, beyond knowing that
it was a laser printer.

Some time later, I retrieved the earlier laser printer. That's when I
discovered I had two Brothers, an HL-2040 and and HL-2140, and both
worked perfectly using the same driver. Quite convenient.